One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of a pair of brackets in the form [ ].
- ‘An extra key brings up a list of characters that you won't find on the keyboard, such as the forward slash, square brackets and curly braces.’
- ‘This sentence was spoken in the interview, but without the words around which I've put square brackets.’
- ‘I have corrected a couple of typos and added a few comments of my own in square brackets and italics.’
- ‘As in many printed editions, editorial intervention is signalled by square brackets.’
- ‘I have added my own explanatory notes in the square brackets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.