One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A reptile of the large order "Squamata" ; a snake, lizard, or worm lizard.
- ‘Visitors can visit the exhibition online to explore the astonishing diversity of squamates.’
- ‘In contrast, most species of squamates (lizards and snakes) are larger at lower latitudes.’
- ‘Some squamates, like iguanas, rely heavily on vision to locate food, and use their pliable tongues to grab it.’
- ‘I modified behavioral experiments from previous studies of chemoreceptive behavior in squamates.’
- ‘Humans and giraffes have seven neck vertebrae, while many squamates have eight.’
Relating to or denoting squamates.
- ‘In viviparous squamates, placental transfer of organic and inorganic nutrients is widespread, if not universal.’
- ‘Vidal and Hedges collected and analyzed the largest genetic data set ever assembled for the scaly reptiles known as squamates.’
- ‘Some squamate reptiles appear to have relatively slow cellular immune responses compared with mammals.’
- ‘Chromoviral distribution has been analyzed in 15 reptilian species, including representatives of crocodiles, turtles, and squamates.’
- ‘As evidenced by the articles in this volume, a recent increase in interest in the mating systems of poikilothermic vertebrates has focused primarily on fishes, a few amphibians, and squamate reptiles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.