One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small crested buff and white heron found in southern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
Ardeola ralloides, family Ardeidae
- ‘There was also a pair of squacco herons in the reeds.’
- ‘It also houses specimens of night herons, squacco herons, little egrets and is usually visited by the marsh harrier.’
- ‘A couple of spur-winged plovers were flying around and a squacco heron flew over me.’
- ‘Martin Wagner, from Thames Water said: ‘The sighting of the squacco heron is a great success for the company as well as for wildlife.’’
- ‘The squacco heron is a summer migrant from sub-Saharan Africa to the marshes of southern Europe.’
Mid 18th century: squacco from Italian dialect sguacco.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.