One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small watercourse, typically dry except during the rainy season.
- ‘The house was surrounded by veld, with a spruit flowing out of the dam, and a long tree-lined avenue running from the present day Beyers Naude Drive to the house.’
- ‘The lack of health facilities presented an immediate risk to life, as did the possibility of contracting water-borne diseases from the spruit that flowed through the property.’
- ‘If you look closer, you'll see that a myriad of small streams or spruits, trickle through the suburbs, particularly the northern suburbs.’
- ‘The spruit is considered by some to be the longest tributary of the Limpopo, usually the criterion for sourcing and naming a river.’
- ‘The spruit that flows through the zoo rises near Valley Road in Parktown.’
Dutch; related to sprout.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.