Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Each of several projections on the rim of a wheel that engage with the links of a chain or with holes in film, tape, or paper.
prong, point, tine, cog, ratchetView synonyms
- ‘One of the drive chains jumped the sprocket and the team could not fix it.’
- ‘Whatever crisis engulfs the country, at least you know that the engine is turning over smoothly, every sprocket interlocking, the gears changing so imperceptibly that all you can hear is the ticking of the clock.’
- ‘All of the moving parts are fully enclosed so you have got no chance of sprockets or drive shafts whirring around or anything like that.’
- ‘Along the way today, I did have a bit of bother with my 11-tooth sprocket, so I drifted back for a wheel change.’
- ‘I had to ease back on the pedals to allow the chain to drop down a sprocket, but having lost that momentum I couldn't get it going again before the line.’
- ‘Worn chains and sprockets may be working improperly long before they actually break.’
- 1.1 A wheel with sprockets.
- ‘Modern aluminium sprocket wheels are so light, he says, that doubling their size is relatively unimportant.’
- ‘The sprocket wheel is attached to the rear wheel, which thus also rotates 2 times a second.’
- ‘Older projectors had to be threaded manually, with the user placing the film around the sprocket wheels, through the film gate and around the various spindles and guides.’
- ‘The small sprocket wheel in turn is coupled to the ratchet wheel, which allows only the uni-directional rotation of the ratchet sleeve shaft.’
- ‘If the chain has not fallen off the sprocket wheel, its movement may be obstructed by something.’
Mid 16th century (denoting a triangular piece of timber used in a roof): of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.