One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mixture of wine and soda water.
- ‘Sasson suggests choosing drinks that are mixed with nonalcoholic beverages, such as white wine spritzers.’
- ‘I'd take a bottle of wine and plenty of soda for spritzers - you don't want to be dehydrating yourself in the heat.’
- ‘Last night I sat outside a pub near Gray's Inn with Annabel, watching the ice cubes melt in my white wine spritzer, talking about life and love and the future.’
- ‘The bar tender was very funny, teasing me when I ordered a white wine spritzer instead of the Scotch he was trying to persuade everyone to imbibe.’
- ‘He has swapped pints for white wine spritzers and given up takeaway food.’
1960s: from German Spritzer ‘a splash’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.