One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device that sprays water.
atomizer, vaporizer, aerosolView synonyms
- ‘Unlike overhead sprinklers, no water is lost to evaporation.’
- ‘Irrigators are responsible for the costs of all on-farm irrigation equipment such as pipes and sprinklers.’
- ‘There was a water sprinkler to wash down the streets after the market.’
- ‘If you do use overhead sprinklers, water during the early morning so your plants have time to dry before nightfall.’
- ‘The main method of irrigation for peanuts is overhead sprinklers.’
- 1.1 A device used for watering lawns.
- ‘The kids from next door play ball in the street or ride on their skates and bikes, today they are playing under the sprinklers on their lawn.’
- ‘Hand-watering with a hose can eat up a lot of your time and can waste a lot of water, as can sprinklers.’
- ‘If sprinklers are spraying more water on paving or other unintended areas than on lawns, adjust them.’
- ‘I remember sitting on the patio, with the French windows open and a sprinkler going on the lawn, and eating the Cornettos and feeling like this was the most amazing, decadent thing ever.’
- ‘Gardeners, for example, have been encouraged to limit the use of fertilizers and pesticides and will be asked to show restraint with the lawn sprinklers.’
- 1.2 An automatic fire extinguisher installed in the ceilings of a building.
- ‘He also admitted that Bedfordshire Fire Service had recommended sprinklers be used at the centre.’
- ‘Areas of the building prone to fires must have fire alarms and automatic sprinklers.’
- ‘A senior fire officer in charge of the incident had ordered sprinklers at the premises to be turned off.’
- ‘The fire alarm deploys a curtain covering the paintings, and then activates the sprinklers.’
- ‘Law said some 70 building owners already contacted by the ministry have agreed to install sprinklers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.