One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small spaniel of a breed originally used to spring game. There are two main breeds, the English springer, typically black and white or brown and white, and the less common red and white Welsh springer.
- ‘Like most other dog handlers, PC Ware has two dogs, an Alsatian for general duties and a springer spaniel, Murphy, who is trained to seek-out drugs and retrieve hidden weapons.’
- ‘The springers are very intelligent dogs and they love fetching and playing with toys.’
- ‘The 6-year-old springer spaniel is only the 24th dog to receive the medal issued by the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals since the Second World War.’
- ‘HMS Monmouth has a new recruit in the fight against drugs traffickers - a springer spaniel named Caspar.’
- ‘The dog, a springer spaniel called Sasha, was unhurt.’
The lowest stone in an arch, where the curve begins.
3A cow or heifer near to calving.‘for sale—two Friesian springers, first and second calvers’
- ‘The springers need to be rounded up and brought in.’
- ‘The growth of the super dairies with 1,000 cows or more has created a good market for springers - replacement heifers due to calve soon.’
4South African Any of a number of fish noted for leaping out of the water, especially the skipjack tuna or the tenpounder.
- ‘Twenty years ago, the Tay produced over 500 springers annually but the river has barely managed to yield 100 early fish in recent years.’
- ‘A few hardy anglers on the Perthshire water will be in search of a precious early-season springer.’
- ‘Although spring catches have been down in recent years, more than 200 springers have been caught this season so far, which is three times as many as the same period last year.’
- ‘Congratulations are extended to Rob Shepard who landed his first springer recently and repeated the experience the following morning while fishing on the River Moy in Foxford recently.’
- ‘Some privately-held waters, who do not publicise their returns, are said to have landed more than 100 fresh springers already, in the first two months, and that is with only two rods fishing daily.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.