1The equinox in spring, on about 20 March in the northern hemisphere and 22 September in the southern hemisphere.
- ‘The spring equinox is fast approaching, and soon we can all throw open our windows and let the March breezes blow winter away.’
- ‘Christians began to use a complicated formula that places Easter on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.’
- ‘The autumnal equinox occurs in March in the Southern Hemisphere, and the spring equinox occurs in September.’
- ‘In ancient times the spring equinox marked the start of the New Year and festivities were held to honour the birth of new life and the new beginnings that lay in store.’
- ‘The date of the spring equinox determines the date of Easter.’
The equinox in March.Also called vernal equinox