1Cause a trap for catching animals to close suddenly.
- ‘Silverspot springs a trap by dropping rocks on it.’
- 1.1Trick someone into doing something.‘she decided to spring the trap after noticing that her husband was behaving erratically’
- ‘He waited until the Nation piece to spring a trap.’
- ‘I believe she is about to spring a trap.’
- ‘She didn't want to run into anything unexpected, and if the Norak were going to spring a trap, now would be the time.’
- ‘Halfway through, he sprang a trap on the Muslim leadership.’