Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An electronic document in which data is arranged in the rows and columns of a grid and can be manipulated and used in calculations.‘we have a colour-coded Excel spreadsheet of all of our trip expenses’‘William spent most of the day updating the Risk Assessment spreadsheet’
- ‘Police prepared spreadsheets of crime in the area which, they said, proved the pub was a magnet for trouble, particularly late at night.’
- ‘Many financial planners use Excel and Word to create spreadsheets and documents that address specific financial planning issues.’
- ‘A good office suite allows you to create documents and spreadsheets, produce marketing materials, manage email and contacts, and much more.’
- ‘For the last month, I have been planning my car travel more carefully, and keeping a detailed spreadsheet of journeys to see how much I genuinely use it.’
- ‘For the insurance claim, they had to compile exhaustive spreadsheets of their possessions, right down to how many white T-shirts were in a bureau drawer.’
- ‘I have a big spreadsheet where I keep track of what's going on.’
- ‘I read the contract and created a little Excel spreadsheet to see what the different box-office totals meant to me.’
- ‘We keep spreadsheets of which software is installed on what systems to make sure we don't install more copies of any software than we own.’
- ‘"I can only assume," Perkins added, " there is a mistake in one of his spreadsheets.’
- ‘I got my finances in order by using Microsoft Excel to create a spreadsheet of my monthly income and expenses.’
- ‘On his computer, St. Jean keeps a spreadsheet of every player's salary and other basic information.’
- ‘If the company has neither increased nor decreased its dividend in the current or preceding year, that cell is left blank in the spreadsheet.’
- ‘I supplied several spreadsheets of actual and estimated costs, along with explanations running to about two thousand words.’
- ‘Melissa has put together a spreadsheet of our favorite girl's names.’
- ‘He put the results into a database and produced spreadsheets that were shared with applications administrators.’
- ‘The following 4 tables summarise the results from the spreadsheets.’
- ‘When the changes had been made, I printed a off copy of the spreadsheet for Mr Simons.’
- ‘After each student completed the survey, the responses were automatically downloaded into a spreadsheet.’
- ‘"I always thought of renting space for my business," she says, "but Kenny kept showing me spreadsheets, demonstrating the advantages of buying."’
- ‘Create a spreadsheet of the costs involved in getting your project off the ground.’
- 1.1A computer program used to create and manipulate spreadsheets.
- ‘Once prepared, the file can be transferred to and used on any computer with the spreadsheet program.’
- ‘You should then be able to open your spreadsheet program, browse to the file, and open it.’
- ‘The first step is to stop using word processors and spreadsheets to manipulate and organize information.’
- ‘PC applications, representing the second generation of FM technology, were initially built around office automation software such as spreadsheets or databases.’
- ‘Many students sent us graphs prepared with computer spreadsheet programs.’
- ‘An Excel spreadsheet or an Access database can be used to catalog the archives' contents and whereabouts.’
Use or create a spreadsheet.
- ‘Most personal computers are used for tasks such as word processing, spreadsheeting, accounts and the like.’
- ‘I have planned, advised, spreadsheeted, etc. until they are probably sick of me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.