Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A device used for spreading or scattering a substance over a wide area.‘a fertilizer spreader’
- ‘It's cheaper to disk my 2000 acres than to buy a straw chopper and chaff spreader for my combine.’
- ‘Then, after the fungi have had time to multiply, farmers would apply the colonized soil in manure spreaders along with their compost.’
- ‘Manure can be spread as a solid or semi-solid in a box or flail spreader.’
- ‘When we put an operator into a sprayer or spreader at the beginning of the season, that's his machine for the rest of the year.’
- ‘This figure doesn't include the cost of a lawn mower, fertilizer spreader, watering equipment or the labor to service the lawn.’
- ‘About six years ago, I was doing all of my manure spreading with an old New Holland 510 box spreader.’
- ‘This systemic aquatic herbicide is easily applied using a cyclone-type spreader.’
- ‘Some producers are also having success with seeding legumes through dry fertilizer air spreaders, with cultipacking before and after the seed is broadcast.’
- ‘They mix them with soil and distribute them with a device similar to a fertilizer spreader.’
- ‘A conventional box spreader is used for land application of sheep manure.’
- ‘To spread compost in the vineyard, Roth recommends a wet-lime spreader, which many growers already have.’
- ‘Because the fertilizer doesn't see the light of day from the time it is unloaded until it is loaded onto spreaders or tenders, both dust and spillage are virtually eliminated.’
- ‘A key factor in the design of any liquid-storage structure is provision for agitating the waste prior to irrigating or loading the tank spreader.’
- ‘They can be effectively applied on clean walkways by using a simple push-type Scott's fertilizer spreader.’
- ‘However, some 6-row combines have 10 tons on the front axle with a full grain tank and tricycle fertilizer spreaders may carry 14 tons on the rear axle.’
- ‘I'm usually quick to pick up weed problems and troubles with a fertilizer spreader quick enough to rescue a field.’
- ‘He said the equipment to be demonstrated includes disc harrows, lime spreaders and chisel ploughs among others.’
- ‘Most years this system seems to work great since the fields are firmer and can take the traffic of the manure spreader better and I have less competition for my time from other field operations.’
- ‘In the past year alone, the cooperative has purchased an air-flow dry fertilizer spreader, a field sprayer, a fork lift, a skid loader and two pickup trucks - all new.’
- ‘Keep all guards and safety shields in place on pumps, around pump hoppers, on manure spreaders, tank wagons, power units, etc.’
- 1.1A plant that grows over a wide area.
- 1.2A bar attached to the mast of a yacht in order to spread the angle of the upper shrouds.
2A person who spreads or disseminates something.‘kids are the biggest spreaders of the virus’
- ‘They also sought to tap into public discourse about hackers as copyright pirates, criminals, and spreaders of computer viruses.’
- ‘Go to the trend spreaders and plant yourself intelligently on their radar.’
- ‘And yet another yes - I am the rumour-gatherer and spreader of my school.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.