Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Smart or showy in appearance:‘a sprauncy little street’
smart, stylish, upmarket, fancy, high-class, fashionable, chic, luxurious, luxury, deluxe, exclusive, select, sumptuous, opulent, lavish, grand, rich, elegant, ornate, ostentatious, showyView synonyms
- ‘As the number of files grew I drafted in the support of the genius behind my web site, and he started delivering the sprauncy graphics that make up the operating system.’
- ‘My father is second from the left, next to the guy with the sprauncy tie.’
- ‘I reflect how, last week, I asked for salt to correct an underseasoned steak in this sprauncy new joint in London's West End.’
- ‘My wife accompanied her on a shopping trip in her Cadillac to a sprauncy West Palm Beach shopping mall while I was interviewing him.’
- ‘At the bottom was an unmanned reception desk in front of a curtain, through which a sprauncy dining room could be glimpsed.’
- ‘The result is a sprauncy new shower, which I totally love and which didn't cost me weeks of brain ache.’
- ‘The abbey gardens always look fantastic, but to coincide with the tower celebrations the current display looks particularly sprauncy.’
- ‘While I was walking my dog in Chelsea yesterday I happened across a van parked outside quite a sprauncy house on the side of which it said ‘CG Scrubbers’!’
- ‘She had money in her pocket, but security guards at this sprauncy venue plainly did not like the look of her.’
- ‘But the best thing was the way they made you feel - not feminine, or glamorous - but sprauncy, neat, trim (the Lycra helped here) and ready for action.’
- ‘The sprauncy part of the operation is the Premiere Dining Room.’
1950s: perhaps related to dialect sprouncey ‘cheerful’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.