Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A southern African hyena which has a greyish-yellow to reddish coat with irregular dark spots, and a loud laughing call.
- ‘The calving lures many animals of prey, including lions and spotted hyena.’
- ‘Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.’
- ‘Like societies of many other gregarious mammals, social groups of spotted hyenas are structured by linear dominance hierarchies.’
- ‘They can eat up to 40% of their body weight in a sitting, which is only equalled by the spotted hyena in South Africa.’
- ‘Their enemies are lion, leopard, spotted hyena, wild dog and crocodile.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.