Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Any of a number of diseases characterized by fever and skin spots, in particular.
- ‘Mediterranean spotted fever, or boutonneuse fever, is the most common imported rickettsial disease in returning travelers.’
- ‘Apart from rabies, dogs are at risk of passing on Mediterranean spotted fever, leishmaniasis, heartworm, and brucellosis.’
- ‘Continental Europe also has its share of endemic arthropod borne infections, from leishmaniasis and Mediterranean spotted fever in southern France, Italy, and Spain, to tick borne encephalitis in the Baltic states.’
- 1.1Cerebrospinal meningitis.
- 1.3A rickettsial disease transmitted by ticks.
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is the most common rickettsial disease in the United States.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is caused by a rickettsial organism.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is relatively common and can be severe, especially in children, if the diagnosis is not made quickly.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a disease caused by a rickettsial organism that circulates in nature in a complex cycle between ticks and small mammals.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is caused by Rickettsia rickettsii and is the most common rickettsial disease in the United States.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a bacterial infection that's transmitted to people by tick bites.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is an infectious disease, carried by ticks, that can infect both dogs and people.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is endemic in North, Central, and South America.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever most often occurs in the eastern and southern U.S., typically from April to September.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is carried by infected ticks that attach themselves to animal skin, particularly dogs.’
- ‘Rocky Mountain spotted fever is fatal in 2 to 7 percent of cases, primarily because of the delay in diagnosis and initiation of treatment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.