One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
News of events reported as they occur, from the place where they are occurring.‘news of the attack broke on social media, with spot news emerging first on Twitter’
- ‘Divided into nine categories and nine sub-categories ranging from general news, spot news, people in the news, the arts, sports and children, the contest is judged by an independent jury consisting of nine members.’
- ‘We report everything as if it were spot news, as if it were a car crash.’
- ‘There are a lot of smart, thoughtful people blogging, but few who have ever covered spot news.’
- ‘Doesn't every TV news video editor work on spot news?’
- ‘There are dozens of other compelling photos in many categories, from spot news to nature to portraits to sports.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.