One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A low-built car designed for performance at high speeds, often having a roof that can be folded back.
- ‘If you have a sports car, consider joining the specialist car club associated with it and find out how to take out cover through a specialist insurer.’
- ‘In his spare time, Menard races sports cars and go-carts.’
- ‘A royal Shakespeare Company production of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ featured sports cars, swimming pools and hypodermic needles.’
- ‘They still go home to their big houses in their foreign sports cars.’
- ‘The Morgan car company has done this with its sports cars aimed at the connoisseur segment of car buyers.’
- ‘‘They defined sports cars,’ Eason says, ‘and made sports cars more stylish and affordable.’’
- ‘This year, for every ad featuring sports cars zipping up country roads or beer steins filled to the brim, another touted the advantage of an online or full-service trading account.’
- ‘One of the most delightful small sports cars of all time has to be the Mazda MX - 5, which, since its arrival on the international scene in 1989, has won firm friends all around the world.’
- ‘Performance tires, often found on sports cars and sport editions, provide more grip.’
- ‘They would spend it on Italian suits, English sports cars, and apartments with exposed brick walls.’
- ‘In fact, early on in his career, he would leave miniatures of his work on expensive sports cars in Beverly Hills along Sunset Boulevard.’
- ‘The 37-year-old bachelor owns a yacht, planes, a helicopter and a collection of sports cars.’
- ‘In his late seventies, he bought a sports car, a red Porsche, and that was a surprise.’
- ‘A midlife crisis usually makes people think of gray-haired men with sports cars and very young women.’
- ‘He drives a sports car and behaves with the arrogance of a once famous person.’
- ‘While luxury and sports cars typically define automotive beauty, monster SUVs are the latest trend to hit the industry.’
- ‘Another problem is that many people are swayed by ‘conspicuous consumption’ - we see our neighbours' flash sports cars and wish for one ourselves.’
- ‘Inside, spotlit and presented luxuriously, were the latest Porsche and Jaguar sports cars.’
- ‘The next picture is that of modern day advertising, with sports cars cruising along winding highways to tired strains of electronica.’
- ‘The ‘shiny, young faces you see in sports cars and in suburban supermarkets’ aren't all that ‘shallow and empty.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.