One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A low-built car designed for performance at high speeds, often having a roof that can be folded back.
- ‘A midlife crisis usually makes people think of gray-haired men with sports cars and very young women.’
- ‘They would spend it on Italian suits, English sports cars, and apartments with exposed brick walls.’
- ‘The next picture is that of modern day advertising, with sports cars cruising along winding highways to tired strains of electronica.’
- ‘A royal Shakespeare Company production of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ featured sports cars, swimming pools and hypodermic needles.’
- ‘One of the most delightful small sports cars of all time has to be the Mazda MX - 5, which, since its arrival on the international scene in 1989, has won firm friends all around the world.’
- ‘The Morgan car company has done this with its sports cars aimed at the connoisseur segment of car buyers.’
- ‘This year, for every ad featuring sports cars zipping up country roads or beer steins filled to the brim, another touted the advantage of an online or full-service trading account.’
- ‘Another problem is that many people are swayed by ‘conspicuous consumption’ - we see our neighbours' flash sports cars and wish for one ourselves.’
- ‘In fact, early on in his career, he would leave miniatures of his work on expensive sports cars in Beverly Hills along Sunset Boulevard.’
- ‘If you have a sports car, consider joining the specialist car club associated with it and find out how to take out cover through a specialist insurer.’
- ‘In his spare time, Menard races sports cars and go-carts.’
- ‘‘They defined sports cars,’ Eason says, ‘and made sports cars more stylish and affordable.’’
- ‘Performance tires, often found on sports cars and sport editions, provide more grip.’
- ‘They still go home to their big houses in their foreign sports cars.’
- ‘Inside, spotlit and presented luxuriously, were the latest Porsche and Jaguar sports cars.’
- ‘The 37-year-old bachelor owns a yacht, planes, a helicopter and a collection of sports cars.’
- ‘The ‘shiny, young faces you see in sports cars and in suburban supermarkets’ aren't all that ‘shallow and empty.’’
- ‘He drives a sports car and behaves with the arrogance of a once famous person.’
- ‘While luxury and sports cars typically define automotive beauty, monster SUVs are the latest trend to hit the industry.’
- ‘In his late seventies, he bought a sports car, a red Porsche, and that was a surprise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.