Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The asexual process of spore formation in parasitic sporozoans.
- ‘In at least two, widely divergent systems, electron-dense extracellular tubules have been observed surrounding developing spores during sporogony.’
- ‘Sporozoites, the product of sporogony, migrate to the salivary glands and are injected into the bloodstream when a mosquito bites a person.’
- ‘The enveloped sporogony is endogenous in spore sacs of sporont origin, daughter cells are formed by vacuolation.’
- ‘Africa, as is widely known, is a generally hot continent, and so is particularly susceptible to more rapid sporogony.’
- ‘The completion of the sporogony takes between 7 days to 8 weeks, depending on the parasite species, the nature of the vector and, more importantly, the environmental conditions, particularly temperature and relative humidity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.