One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall mainly white or pinkish wading bird related to ibises, having a long bill with a very broad flat tip.
- ‘The water birds hovering around the lake include pelicans, spoonbills, Egyptian geese and hammerkops.’
- ‘Other wintering species include little egret, spoonbill, hen harrier, merlin, peregrine, green sandpiper and common sandpiper.’
- ‘A crudely painted plywood sign showing bulbous ibis and spoonbills asks that you not disturb the birds.’
- ‘One month later, the two other spoonbills were released.’
- ‘In winter, it's easy to see raptors, Oriental white stork, and white spoonbills.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.