One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall mainly white or pinkish wading bird related to ibises, having a long bill with a very broad flat tip.
- ‘Other wintering species include little egret, spoonbill, hen harrier, merlin, peregrine, green sandpiper and common sandpiper.’
- ‘The water birds hovering around the lake include pelicans, spoonbills, Egyptian geese and hammerkops.’
- ‘In winter, it's easy to see raptors, Oriental white stork, and white spoonbills.’
- ‘One month later, the two other spoonbills were released.’
- ‘A crudely painted plywood sign showing bulbous ibis and spoonbills asks that you not disturb the birds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.