Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tall mainly white or pinkish wading bird related to ibises, having a long bill with a very broad flat tip.
- ‘Other wintering species include little egret, spoonbill, hen harrier, merlin, peregrine, green sandpiper and common sandpiper.’
- ‘The water birds hovering around the lake include pelicans, spoonbills, Egyptian geese and hammerkops.’
- ‘One month later, the two other spoonbills were released.’
- ‘A crudely painted plywood sign showing bulbous ibis and spoonbills asks that you not disturb the birds.’
- ‘In winter, it's easy to see raptors, Oriental white stork, and white spoonbills.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.