Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Sinister or ghostly in a way that causes fear and unease.‘I bet this place is really spooky late at night’
eerie, sinister, ghostly, uncanny, weird, unearthly, mysteriousfrightening, spine-chilling, hair-raising, scaring, terrifying, petrifying, chillingcreepy, scary, spine-tinglingView synonyms
- ‘He rushes out into the cornfield at the same time as his brother and there is more spooky whispering running through the corn.’
- ‘I also love the spooky scene when Bowman appears on his wife's TV.’
- ‘As cheesy horror, the movie offers plenty of jump scares, spooky atmosphere, and bloody carnage.’
- ‘The downright spooky supernatural aura enhances the staying power of this film in your mind.’
- ‘His spooky elfin protagonists are seditious and superb at each alternate glance.’
- ‘The shocks aren't shocking, the spooks aren't spooky and any whispers of fear are swamped by the daftness of the plot.’
- ‘The village is unpeopled, which makes it spooky.’
- ‘Seen at night, the structure became quite spooky.’
- ‘The production design of the spaceship itself is otherworldly and spooky.’
- ‘Jigsaw has locked a bunch of strangers in a spooky old house with nerve gas slowly killing them off.’
- ‘The less said about the spooky music and creepy lighting the better.’
- ‘The effect is uncannily scary and spooky - you can almost hear the bones rattling.’
- ‘That picture, especially combined with the title of this post, is just plain spooky.’
- ‘The constant intrusion of spooky music telling us that we should be really frightened achieves overkill long before the end of the film's running time.’
- ‘The makers were more interested in telling us the movie is spooky than actually making it spooky.’
- ‘These tracking shots lend a mysterious, sometimes spooky quality to the film.’
- ‘There's something wrong with the dusty old ranch house, though, as strange sounds and spooky visions begin to haunt the crooks.’
- ‘Their scenes together are riveting and the film builds a spooky and unsettling atmosphere with great economy, while providing a rare insight into small towns and stunted lives.’
- ‘It is wild, beautiful, passionate, spooky and direct.’
- ‘They are spooky, eerie and atmospheric but they're not necessarily centred in that.’
2North American Easily frightened; nervous.‘some horses are more spooky by nature than others’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.