One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having or denoting a porous structure or consistency resembling that of a sponge.‘spongiform changes in the cerebral grey matter’
soft, cushiony, cushioned, squashy, compressible, yieldingView synonyms
- ‘Like mad cow disease and CWD, CJD is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy that kills its victims by filling their brains with microscopic sponge-like holes.’
- ‘Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, known as mad cow disease, surfaced in the UK in 1986 and has affected nearly 200,000 cattle.’
- ‘Later, more flock members tested positive for the disease - also known as ovine transmissible spongiform encephalopathy - and, by law, had to be destroyed.’
- ‘I've been reading up on Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or commonly mad cow disease).’
- ‘This was considered the first case of feline spongiform encephalopathy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.