One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal A person who lives at others' expense.
parasite, hanger-on, leech, scrounger, passenger, drone, beggarView synonyms
- ‘These journeys would take great courage and stamina - a fact that is hard to square with the common perception of immigrants as work-shy spongers.’
- ‘So does it make you a sponger to get money from the State to buy a baby's buggy?’
- ‘By the end he sees that in the house of the film star he is regarded as ‘a lackey, a sponger, a pathetic hanger-on’.’
- ‘MPs, councillors and all their cronies are nothing more than scroungers, spongers, parasites.’
- ‘Lounging around at home like a loafing sponger will create mass inflation plunging Britain into an economic ice-age, say the London - based layabouts' collective.’
- ‘He was a sponger even when he had money of his own.’
- ‘They believe social welfare recipients are spongers who could find work if they only got on their bike.’
- ‘With considerable pride, Ireland can claim to have given the world a new kind of sponger: the loaded freeloader.’
- ‘‘The fact that the vast majority of recently arrived asylum seekers are excluded from the workplace creates a situation where they are seen as spongers,’ he believes.’
- ‘Looks like I'll never be a decent sponger, at least not consciously.’
- ‘Refugees are frequently termed freeloaders and spongers by resentful Irish, even by certain politicians.’
- ‘Also last week, Mr Blair's welfare system came under fire for promoting professional spongers.’
- ‘These people are spongers and are chancing their arm.’
- ‘Asylum-seekers and refugees are not spongers and freeloaders, according to Minister O'Donoghue.’
- ‘The prevalent idea that immigrants are spongers is also refuted by the data.’
- ‘That huge sums could be diverted to those in genuine need - not least the mentally ill - if the spongers were stopped seems to fall on deaf ears.’
- ‘We also want to show people we are not spongers, but ordinary people, like anyone else.’
- ‘The message from the Committee is if you watch the picture please pay up and don't be a sponger.’
- ‘Yet these men are the real spongers who literally rob us of millions.’
- ‘As a consequence they were parasites and spongers.’
2A person who applies decoration to pottery with a sponge.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.