One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rubber latex processed into a sponge-like substance.
- ‘His reappearance at the fall of the eighth wicket, finger encased in enough sponge rubber and plastic to protect a Ming vase, was almost the final barrier to England's progress to a second successive victory in the series.’
- ‘By 1944, external prosthesis of sponge rubber for women suffering from atrophy or absence of the breast was recommended to surgeons in the Archives of Surgery.’
- ‘He outfitted Natalia with a pair of swimmer's goggles, the lenses blocked by sponge rubber and aluminum foil.’
- ‘This was too heavy and stiff, so we modified the design by filling the shell with sponge rubber to make it lighter and then placed a stiff piece for the metatarsals.’
- ‘Their bodies were wrapped in blankets, duvets and sponge rubber.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.