One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a discussion or review of a film, book, television drama, etc.) a warning that an important detail of the plot development is about to be revealed.‘the third season ended (spoiler alert if you don't want to know) with the intervention of a ‘lady in red’’
- ‘SPOILER ALERT: I am about to give away the ending.’
- ‘The climactic twist in the movie [spoiler alert] is that the person who was helping the police to find the "devil" was actually the devil himself!’
- ‘Spoiler Alert: The following article reveals details of the movie's plot, including its conclusion.’
- ‘WARNING: Small spoiler alert for this post, big spoiler alert for the comments.’
- ‘Spoiler alert: he becomes Henry V.’
- ‘At the end (spoiler alert), we find the suspect he'd framed on a hunch has confessed, so he was right all along, even if his methods stink.’
- ‘I guess I should've put a "Spoiler Alert" at the top of this review.’
- ‘(Friends and family spoiler alert: don't read further if you like a surprise on the 25th.)’
- ‘Spoiler Alert: This review assumes that the reader is familiar with the story of King Kong, including the ending.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.