One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soil of an order characterized by a spodic horizon and including most podzols.
- ‘The Eastern Gulf Coast Flatwoods land-resource area, which composes much of the Apalachicola River basin, is dominated by spodosols.’
- ‘As usual, I learned some new concepts with regard spodosols.’
- ‘Alfisols are intermediate in maturity between mollisols or spodosols and ultisols.’
- ‘The main weathering product in the spodosols of the study area is a mixed-layer dioctahedral mica/smectite.’
- ‘The soil is a spodosol formed on fine sand.’
1960s: from Greek spodos ‘ashes’ + -sol + Latin solum ‘soil’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.