Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A soil of an order characterized by a spodic horizon and including most podzols.
- ‘Alfisols are intermediate in maturity between mollisols or spodosols and ultisols.’
- ‘As usual, I learned some new concepts with regard spodosols.’
- ‘The Eastern Gulf Coast Flatwoods land-resource area, which composes much of the Apalachicola River basin, is dominated by spodosols.’
- ‘The soil is a spodosol formed on fine sand.’
- ‘The main weathering product in the spodosols of the study area is a mixed-layer dioctahedral mica/smectite.’
1960s: from Greek spodos ‘ashes’ + -sol + Latin solum ‘soil’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.