Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A soil of an order characterized by a spodic horizon and including most podzols.
- ‘The Eastern Gulf Coast Flatwoods land-resource area, which composes much of the Apalachicola River basin, is dominated by spodosols.’
- ‘As usual, I learned some new concepts with regard spodosols.’
- ‘The soil is a spodosol formed on fine sand.’
- ‘The main weathering product in the spodosols of the study area is a mixed-layer dioctahedral mica/smectite.’
- ‘Alfisols are intermediate in maturity between mollisols or spodosols and ultisols.’
1960s: from Greek spodos ashes + -sol + Latin solum soil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.