Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small steel ring with two spiral turns, such as a key ring.
- ‘It does cost you a lead and a split ring with each cast but you can use the rig in an alternative way by using the 3oz lead attached up the main line by a 4 lb nylon weak link.’
- ‘I like to use a carp anglers big bore link-ledger bead, with a Mustad oval split ring passed through the link eye to attach the lead, instead of a running swivel and link.’
- ‘Put a swivel at the main line end and either a heavy duty split ring or either a Berkley or Sampo snap swivel at the other, so that the wire tippet can be easily removed.’
- ‘Now close the crimps to leave the swivel sat about 2-ins above the split ring.’
- ‘The puny hooks and light split rings can open on a really big sow; for this reason, the thin-minnow plug may not be the best choice in the quest for a ‘double-digit’ trophy.’
- ‘Any lure with suspect split rings and puny trebles should not be used in this high-stakes game; many grand bass are lost each spring by anglers using flimsy trappings that open against real fish.’
- ‘Talley's vertically split rings have long been a favorite with custom gunmakers and are becoming more widely available.’
- ‘Take 30-inches of 60 lb mono and tie on a split ring or link at the end for attaching the weight to.’
- ‘My well laid plan of bed at 10 pm of course went unnoticed as I was still looking for hooks and split rings strong enough to hold the world's strongest fighting freshwater fish, at 4am!’
- ‘The factory rigging of split rings and trebles are inferior, but no one has designed a better spoon for serious chunking in Texas bays.’
- ‘The rig clip is also used as a lead attachment in the same manner as a split ring.’
- ‘Slide either a carp anglers link ledger bead with a Mustad oval split ring added or a link swivel on to the end of the leader, add a 5mm plastic bead, then tie on a size 4 rolling swivel.’
- ‘It seats the split rings of the obturating mechanism when they expand under pressure in firing.’
- ‘At the other end, add a 3/0 Mustad oval split ring.’
- ‘So whatever the reason, spraying plugs with WD to preserve the hooks, split rings and metal work on a plug is not something which will detract from the effectiveness of an expensive fish catcher.’
- ‘To the middle eye of the three way clip on a Mustad 2/0 oval split ring which takes the lead weight.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.