Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A decision based on a majority verdict rather than on a unanimous one, especially as to the winner on points of a boxing match.‘his title reign ended on a split decision to Daniel Jimenez’
- ‘Eliminate the point deductions and this becomes a close split decision that could have gone either way.’
- ‘It was a close fight, with most fans thinking Meehan had done enough to win the decision, but the judges, on a close split decision, thought otherwise.’
- ‘Joel has not fought since his controversial second bout with Diego Corrales, which ended in a split decision.’
- ‘In the rematch, Spinks won a controversial split decision over Holmes to retain the title.’
- ‘The venue was the 1984 Sunshine State Games where Tarver lost a split decision to Jones.’
- ‘Working behind an effective jab and a consistent left hook to the body, Leija weathered both an early and a late storm from his 21-year-old opponent, eking out a split decision victory.’
- ‘The gamble paid off - Leonard had just enough skill to stay out of the ageing Hagler's way for most of the night and was rewarded with a split decision, which boxing fans still question to this day.’
- ‘When the decision is announced, Leonard is awarded a split decision.’
- ‘People can't get to their cars fast enough, but quite a few stayed and were treated to a very spirited six-round junior featherweight go that Kahren Hartyunyan won by a split decision over Marinho Gonzalez.’
- ‘I just watched Kelvin Davis win a split decision over David Azille on ESPN2.’
- ‘Battaglia brought an impressive 21-3 slate into the ring with him and had mixed in world class before, when losing a split decision to German based Turk, Oktay Urkal.’
- ‘Morales had two torrid fights with Marco Antonio Barrera, winning a split decision in 2000, and losing a controversial decision two years later.’
- ‘Although Ali went the distance, the injury took its toll and Norton won on a split decision.’
- ‘In his previous fight six months prior, he lost a split decision to the seventh ranked Norton.’
- ‘This split decision by the usually unanimous committee gave ammunition to Bork's opponents.’
- ‘Buffaloes' welterweight boxer Maxwell Sosoka beat Kalewa's Josam Banda on unanimous points decision, while flyweight MacDonald Mutale won a split decision over Clifford Mukinga in a flyweight contest.’
- ‘Just about the time you figured the gritty Colombian would exit, he came on in the late rounds to leave Judah with a split decision and his biggest consolation being his $400,000 purse.’
- ‘In front of more than 10,000 fans in his hometown, Pender ground out a split decision, as he finished better than the older man.’
- ‘Holmes would meet Spinks again seven months later losing a split decision, this time in a fight that most media and fans felt that he won.’
- ‘Again the cagy and crafty Spinks survives and comes on with a flurry in the last round and is awarded a split decision by the judges to retain the title.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.