One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for swingletree
- ‘While looking down I noticed the left support brace for my seat was swinging loose from the splinter bar.’
- ‘Oddly, according to official regulations and manuals no provision was made to carry spare swindle trees and splinter bars.’
- ‘He let us know of his dissatisfaction by kicking out at the splinter bars behind him.’
- ‘It is not known that there exists one good reason for attachment to the splinter bar, or why a barbaric and antiquated method should be longer adhered to.’
- ‘A chart giving the correct lengths and heights for poles and splinter bars and a table for shaft lengths and widths is exceptionally valuable.’
- ‘The splinter bar is equipped with eyebolts to facilitate a one or two horse pull.’
- ‘The splinter bar serves for hitching the wheel horses, and has for this purpose four trace hooks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.