One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A cannabis cigarette.
cannabis cigarette, marijuana cigaretteView synonyms
- ‘Funnily enough, it does not strike me that the comparison between soft drugs and alcohol and tobacco will lead to the sale of dope over the counter, or the ability to smoke spliffs openly in pubs.’
- ‘So I started hanging round people who I used to see smoking spliffs and stuff.’
- ‘Possibly due to spliffs being the preferred recreational substance instead of lager, the crowd was one of the mellowest I'd seen in some time - quite something given the size of the venue.’
- ‘I think so, a lot of people would be smoking spliffs instead of having cigarettes.’
- ‘When liberal middle class voices shout for legalization they are talking about sly spliffs under the kitchen table rather than the collapse of underclass Britain in to a drug induced haze.’
- ‘I'd had three spliffs, five pints and I needed someone.’
- ‘Being a retired Inspector from the Met, you would think my Stepfather could differentiate between sucking on a few bummed low-grade resin spliffs in my back garden, and developing a crack/heroin habit.’
- ‘When my mother found out I smoked spliffs she went ballistic.’
- ‘However all we ever ended up doing was smoking super strength spliffs (of which, despite their apparent poverty, Chris and Jimmy seemed to have an infinite supply).’
- ‘The worst thing that can probably happen is that most spliffs are unfiltered so excess using will result in respiratory diseases.’
- 1.1mass noun Cannabis.‘good spliff demands good food’
- ‘I pulled on the soggy roach and took my first lungful of spliff.’
- ‘He smelled like kerosene, Chai tea, and spliff, and incense, and crackling fires.’
- ‘When I was younger and living in the ‘Ghetto’ not everyone had a TV but it was nice to go around to someone's house for Tea, spliff and Blakes Seven or the Sweeney.’
- ‘His dad categorically says to him ‘No spliff, no women and don't see Mercy’ and he does all three within five minutes.’
- ‘Does calling the album Amnesia have anything to do with the amount of spliff you guys went through while recording this thing?’
1930s (originally West Indian): of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.