One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A cannabis cigarette.
cannabis cigarette, marijuana cigaretteView synonyms
- ‘So I started hanging round people who I used to see smoking spliffs and stuff.’
- ‘Funnily enough, it does not strike me that the comparison between soft drugs and alcohol and tobacco will lead to the sale of dope over the counter, or the ability to smoke spliffs openly in pubs.’
- ‘Being a retired Inspector from the Met, you would think my Stepfather could differentiate between sucking on a few bummed low-grade resin spliffs in my back garden, and developing a crack/heroin habit.’
- ‘The worst thing that can probably happen is that most spliffs are unfiltered so excess using will result in respiratory diseases.’
- ‘When liberal middle class voices shout for legalization they are talking about sly spliffs under the kitchen table rather than the collapse of underclass Britain in to a drug induced haze.’
- ‘Possibly due to spliffs being the preferred recreational substance instead of lager, the crowd was one of the mellowest I'd seen in some time - quite something given the size of the venue.’
- ‘However all we ever ended up doing was smoking super strength spliffs (of which, despite their apparent poverty, Chris and Jimmy seemed to have an infinite supply).’
- ‘I think so, a lot of people would be smoking spliffs instead of having cigarettes.’
- ‘When my mother found out I smoked spliffs she went ballistic.’
- ‘I'd had three spliffs, five pints and I needed someone.’
- 1.1mass noun Cannabis.‘good spliff demands good food’
- ‘His dad categorically says to him ‘No spliff, no women and don't see Mercy’ and he does all three within five minutes.’
- ‘He smelled like kerosene, Chai tea, and spliff, and incense, and crackling fires.’
- ‘When I was younger and living in the ‘Ghetto’ not everyone had a TV but it was nice to go around to someone's house for Tea, spliff and Blakes Seven or the Sweeney.’
- ‘Does calling the album Amnesia have anything to do with the amount of spliff you guys went through while recording this thing?’
- ‘I pulled on the soggy roach and took my first lungful of spliff.’
1930s (originally West Indian): of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.