One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the navy) serve out an extra tot of rum.
- ‘Time to splice the main brace and do what we Brits do best, battle the French.’
- ‘They secured the engine after twenty seconds and spliced the main brace in celebration.’
- ‘Today, to say to a friend, ‘Let's splice the main brace!’’
- ‘Let us splice the main brace to steel the men before battle.’
- ‘Lunch is also special with turkey on the menu and the whole camp again spliced the main brace at eleven thirty and again at half past two.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.