One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the navy) serve out an extra tot of rum.
- ‘Time to splice the main brace and do what we Brits do best, battle the French.’
- ‘Lunch is also special with turkey on the menu and the whole camp again spliced the main brace at eleven thirty and again at half past two.’
- ‘They secured the engine after twenty seconds and spliced the main brace in celebration.’
- ‘Let us splice the main brace to steel the men before battle.’
- ‘Today, to say to a friend, ‘Let's splice the main brace!’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.