Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A surgical operation involving removal of the spleen.‘he needs a splenectomy’mass noun ‘both patients underwent splenectomy and made full recoveries’
- ‘At age 27 years, she had undergone an uncomplicated OLT, with shunt removal and intraoperative splenectomy.’
- ‘In case 1, the surgeons documented that during the splenectomy, the ruptured spleen was difficult to remove because of extensive adhesions.’
- ‘As with any major abdominal procedure, a laparoscopic splenectomy procedure has potential risks for the child with SCD.’
- ‘Patients who are immunocompromised or who have undergone a splenectomy are at increased risk for severe complications.’
- ‘A laparoscopic splenectomy usually is recommended when the child has stabilized to ward off the effects of SSC.’
- ‘Most surgeons who perform a laparoscopic splenectomy make five to six incisions for port access in the adult patient.’
- ‘Because of this, a splenectomy, or surgical removal of the spleen, may be done to combat the disorder.’
- ‘He had undergone a splenectomy and porto-caval shunt.’
- ‘Examples of advanced laparoscopic procedures include splenectomies, colostomy takedowns, colectomies, and Nissen fundoplications.’
- ‘He underwent laparotomy with splenectomy and splenic artery resection.’
- ‘Surgical history included a splenectomy for ITP and a cholecystectomy.’
- ‘In clinical practice, this recommendation is often extended to include all children with congenital asplenia or surgical splenectomy.’
- ‘The radiologic impression was that the lesions represented splenic abscesses, and the patient subsequently underwent a splenectomy.’
- ‘He underwent an emergency splenectomy, from which he made a full recovery.’
- ‘We performed a splenectomy and ligated the bleeding vessels.’
- ‘A partial pancreatectomy, coupled with a splenectomy, was performed to remove the tumor.’
- ‘The circulating nurse connects the video camera cords, light cord, carbon dioxide tubing, and other connections so the laparoscopic splenectomy procedure can begin.’
- ‘Accessory spleens also have been observed in as many as 36.7% of children who underwent a splenectomy for SCD.’
- ‘Because the findings were highly suspicious for lymphoma, a laparoscopic splenectomy was performed and the specimen was sent to the pathology department.’
- ‘Laparoscopic splenectomy is the procedure of choice for removing a normal sized spleen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.