Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Magnificent and impressive in appearance.‘the splendorous capital of the empire’‘a splendorous sunset’
magnificent, sumptuous, grand, impressive, imposing, superb, spectacular, resplendent, opulent, luxurious, palatial, deluxe, rich, fine, costly, expensive, lavish, ornate, gorgeous, glorious, dazzling, elegant, handsome, beautifulView synonyms
- ‘Wild garlic, woodruff, ivy, wild strawberry and violets provide the splendorous colour that gives the wood one of its many appealing qualities.’
- ‘Once upon a time, a troll lived in a vast and splendorous castle atop a medium sized hill.’
- ‘I traveled the United States, stopping in splendorous places.’
- ‘Thanks to my sweet, sweet husband, we'll be having a weekend of splendorous relaxation in Dana Point.’
- ‘The costumes and choreography are far more theatrical and splendorous than anything previously associated with the genre.’
- ‘It was a junk-heap of twisted stumps of palaces and cathedrals, grand hotels and museums that had made up one of the most splendorous cities ever to stand.’
- ‘The fruits of those summers, as they came slowly to their splendorous ripeness in rows, filled me whole, and sheltered me in the humming warm cover of last childhood summer evenings.’
- ‘Man and nature have worked together to produce the splendorous sights of Oslo and Stockholm.’
- ‘Last Christmas the Donegan family had hundreds of people from all around the country flocking to their home to view their splendorous display of Christmas lights.’
- ‘Our country is full of splendorous places of beauty.’
Early 17th century ː from splendour + -ous.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.