Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small fern which grows in rosettes on rocks and walls, typically with rounded or triangular lobes on a slender stem. Spleenworts were formerly used to treat disorders of the spleen.
- ‘Enclosing the garden will be a traditional dry stone wall planted with native Irish plants - yarrow, thrift, heart's tongue fern and maiden hair spleenwort.’
- ‘Species of the eastern deciduous forest are northern maidenhair, maidenhair spleenwort, and oak fern.’
- ‘Ferns, lichens and mosses are good choices for a spot with poor natural light, as are Swedish ivy, bird nest sansevieriea, and maidenhead spleenwort.’
- ‘And did you know, for example, that the Parkland Walk contains such uncommon plants as ‘toadflax, black spleenwort and common broomrape’?’
- ‘Others are maidenhair spleenwort, two kinds of polypody, and walking fern.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.