One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small fern which grows in rosettes on rocks and walls, typically with rounded or triangular lobes on a slender stem. Spleenworts were formerly used to treat disorders of the spleen.
Genus Asplenium, family Aspleniaceae
- ‘Species of the eastern deciduous forest are northern maidenhair, maidenhair spleenwort, and oak fern.’
- ‘Enclosing the garden will be a traditional dry stone wall planted with native Irish plants - yarrow, thrift, heart's tongue fern and maiden hair spleenwort.’
- ‘Others are maidenhair spleenwort, two kinds of polypody, and walking fern.’
- ‘Ferns, lichens and mosses are good choices for a spot with poor natural light, as are Swedish ivy, bird nest sansevieriea, and maidenhead spleenwort.’
- ‘And did you know, for example, that the Parkland Walk contains such uncommon plants as ‘toadflax, black spleenwort and common broomrape’?’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.