Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A literary genre characterized by the explicit description of horrific, violent, or pornographic scenes.‘bracketed as splatterpunk, the two novels have been condemned as outright pornography’[as modifier] ‘he became labelled as a splatterpunk horror writer’[count noun] ‘gritty novels called splatterpunks’
- ‘These stories are extremely visceral and it's easy to see why the term ‘splatterpunk’ was coined with this type of writing in mind.’
- ‘If I'm reading splatterpunk it's okay, 'cause I'll start reading them a description.’
- ‘Sounds like the opening line from some third-rate splatterpunk novel.’
- ‘I don't read splatterpunk, so don't worry about me going there.’
- ‘Hell, when I was 8 years old I was reading splatterpunk and Stephen King novels, so I have a hard time gauging these things.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.