Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hybrid trout of North American lakes.
- ‘The species chosen for the job was the splake, a cross between the lake trout and the brook trout.’
- ‘The resulting hybrid, known as a splake, supports intermediate features.’
- ‘Some are fishing inland lakes for splakes and brook trout and using mayfly wigglers, splakes, maggots & waxworms.’
- ‘Both are quite tasty and worth the effort, but today we're concentrating on splake techniques.’
- ‘Although not well documented, there are several potential impacts of introducing splake into a water-body.’
- ‘As with many other fish, splake often ignore nine potential spots, but set up camp on the tenth.’
- ‘There are browns, rainbows, cut-throats, brooks, tigers, splakes, white fish, wipers, and others in the area.’
- ‘Numerous literary profiles have been written about splake in journals and newspapers all around the country.’
- ‘Like the lake trout, most of splake were caught while swimming just below the ice.’
- ‘Lake trout, splakes and brookies are biting well up north, and also try Echo in the morning.’
- ‘Some doubters hold that it, too, must have been a splake instead of a brook trout.’
- ‘In one case, splake are stocked in a reclaimed pond in which brook trout have become self-sustaining.’
- ‘Because the splake is a hatchery-produced hybrid, is does not occur naturally anywhere in the world.’
- ‘The brook trout's sperm has also been combined with the eggs of a lake trout which results in a splake, a fish that has been introduced into some of the North American Great Lakes.’
- ‘Like lightning, out of nowhere, a 14-inch splake dashed in and smacked the jig as we watched in amazement.’
1950s: blend of speckled and lake.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.