One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who spits.
- ‘Does he actually think the gum spitters will take more notice of these bins or boards?’
- ‘For we are a land of spitters and litterers, of indifferent multitude oblivious to hygiene.’
- ‘I've put up with Marvin the spitter; Gavin the hair obsessed guy, Mike the ass that stole from you, and so many more!’
- ‘Most servicemen would have given the spitters a mouthful of bloody Chiclets instead of turning the other cheek like Christ.’
- ‘The new amendment increased the heaviest fine for spitting in public from 50 yuan to 200 yuan, which has substantially reduced the number of public spitters.’
- ‘His gob landed at the twins' feet, exactly where he'd aimed it; Anthony was the best spitter on the Avenue.’
- ‘If no match is found, the sample will be kept on record and checked against new DNA samples until the spitter is identified.’
- ‘And if the geese and the llamas made the banks of the Bow their home each spring, who would win the turf war, the spitters or the hissers?’
- ‘There used to be notices against expectorating in public places, though how many accomplished spitters understood them in order to obey can only be guessed.’
- ‘Just because footballers do it, it would appear that we now have serial spitters.’
- ‘Now, I don't know what this guy is like, because he only moved to the area recently, but I'm working on the assumption that he has to be better than the spitter.’
- ‘So, to all you spitters out there: it's gross, disgusting, unhealthy and classless, and every time you do it you look like a trashy hood rat.’
- ‘The wardens of some of the police court prisons say they have more public spitters in their custody than any other class of offender.’
- ‘The Chennai Corporation has already asked its Assistant Health Officers and Sanitary Inspectors to crack down on smokers and spitters in public places.’
- ‘The spitter is a retired 50-year-old accountant.’
2another term for spitball (sense 2 of the noun)
- ‘A lot of the guys that worked there chewed all day long and got in trouble for leaving their spitters on the shelves where they would often get knocked over.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.