One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Filamentous cyanobacteria which form tangled masses in warm alkaline lakes in Africa and Central and South America.
Genus Spirulina, division Cyanobacteria
- ‘The nine basic ingredients that Lasseur plans to grow on other planets are: rice, onions, tomatoes, soya, potatoes, lettuce, spinach, wheat and spirulina - all common ingredients except the last.’
- ‘Wading in the lake shallows, they stir up organic matter with their bills, including mollusks and crustaceans and the bird's favorite meal, spirulina, a type of nontoxic blue-green algae.’
- ‘In fact, African flamingos get their pink color from eating a diet super-rich in the pinkish blue-green algae, spirulina.’
- ‘Whenua Hou was declared predator-free two years ago, and birds are fed a special supplementary diet of egg protein, spirulina, and walnut essence.’
- ‘You probably realize that spirulina has been used by NASA for their astronauts and is currently being grown in at least 40 countries.’
- 1.1 Spirulina cyanobacteria dried and prepared as a food or food additive, being a rich source of many vitamins and minerals.
- ‘But this is where I get my weird soya milk, wheatgerm, banana and spirulina smoothies each and every day…’
- ‘Shake the spirulina with some of the juice in a jar before mixing it with the rest.’
- ‘Foods rich in GLA are spirulina, evening primrose oil, borage oil, and black currant seed oil.’
- ‘Dunaliella, spirulina, wild blue green algae, wheat and barley grass, chorella, carrot, sweet potato, kale, parsley, and spinach are excellent sources of Vitamin A, listed in order of highest content.’
- ‘Other sources of omega 6 EFA's are human breast milk, soya beans, walnuts, spirulina and lecithin.’
- ‘So alongside the organic soft drinks, spirulina and pure juices, she still stocks regular fizzies.’
- ‘I don't have time to make the detox elixir, so instead I take a good green powder with spirulina and wheat grass.’
- ‘The series provides human-grade ingredients (no by-products or rendered fats) and healthful extras like spirulina, flax seed and cranberries.’
- ‘Liquid formulas and pills containing such herbs as spirulina and milk thistle, chlorophyll, red clover, echinacea and licorice root are ingested.’
- ‘Researchers say spirulina may ward off cancer and protect your brain from age-related mental decline.’
- ‘Grasses, including barley, oat, rye, wheat grass, and alfalfa - technically a legume - are generally higher in fiber, while water greens like spirulina and chlorella tend to be higher in protein.’
- ‘In 1981, the FDA declared spirulina ineffective for weight loss, and no subsequent studies to the contrary have been published.’
- ‘A diet that includes blueberries, spinach or spirulina, a type of green algae, reduces the brain damage caused by stroke.’
- ‘Stir in the sesame seeds and spirulina, if using.’
- ‘In the US, the popularity of Spirulina is primarily as a ‘health food’, being sold in stores as a dried powder or in tablet form.’
- ‘A much better mixture is a combination of one tablespoon each of spirulina, soy flour, and active dry yeast, added to a pint of water.’
- ‘While still damp, coat one side with ground lobster roe and the other side with spirulina; allow to dry.’
- ‘But my personal preference, for a tasty and healthy appetizer, is to match it with spirulina gomasio - my greatest condiment discovery for this winter!’
- ‘A type of blue-green algae that also used to be a popular health boost at juice bars, spirulina is now sold as a supplement as well.’
- ‘I also find spirulina and chlorella cleansing, and milk thistle is good with a longer detox.’
Modern Latin, from spirula ‘small spiral (shell)’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.