One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for measuring the air capacity of the lungs.
- ‘Another form of exercise specific to your lungs is the incentive spirometer.’
- ‘Testing was allowed on a given spirometer only after the measured volume errors were less than 3%.’
- ‘Between 1964 and 1974, the spirometry was performed with the McKerrow spirometer (as described previously in detail).’
- ‘Simple, hand-held, accurate, and reliable spirometers are currently available for use in the primary-care physician's office and clinic, as well as in the workplace.’
- ‘The two most common tools to measure lung function are spirometers and peak flow meters.’
- ‘Asthma specialists make several measurements with a spirometer, a computerized machine that takes detailed measurements of breathing ability.’
- ‘Assess respiratory function and encourage use of inspiratory spirometers.’
- ‘During the test, you'll breathe into a spirometer, which measures the function of your lungs when you inhale and exhale.’
- ‘Vital capacity was measured in liters of air by the spirometer.’
- ‘Commercially available spirometers include normative equations, and lung function is expressed as a percentage of the predicted normal down to 6 years of age.’
- ‘After extubation, the nurse and respiratory therapist assist the patient with using an incentive spirometer and deep breathing and coughing every one to two hours while awake.’
- ‘The mouthpiece of a peak flow meter or the mouth-piece and filter of a spirometer should be changed between uses on different patients.’
- ‘Exercise your lungs using the incentive spirometer (device for deep breathing).’
- ‘The long-term accuracy of a random sample of five of the study spirometers shall be measured by a third party using a waveform generator at the beginning and at the end of the 6-month study.’
- ‘Additionally, respiratory therapy personnel taught Mr V how to use the incentive spirometer.’
- ‘The volume breathed out in the first second of forceful blowing into a spirometer, measured in litres.’
- ‘A new category of spirometers, office spirometers, should be available for use in the primary-care setting.’
- ‘Depending on the age of the child, a peak flow meter or a machine called a spirometer may be used to check lung function (in babies and very small children this isn't possible).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.