One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- archaic term for hydrochloric acid
- ‘Because hydrogen chloride was first prepared from salt, hydrochloric acid was originally referred to as spirits of salt.’
- ‘Need the right expert in spirits of salt?’
- ‘Spirits of wine seems to have come into the category of spirits of salt and spirits of turpentine etc., and was only used for preserving, cleaning or mixing in as a chemical as far as I can make out.’
- ‘For maximum effectiveness, remove as much water from the blocked area as possible before adding spirits of salt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.