Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device consisting of a sealed glass tube partially filled with alcohol or other liquid, containing an air bubble whose position reveals whether a surface is perfectly level.
- ‘If the hooks are level the frame will be level, so carefully measure down from a level ceiling or use a spirit level accurately.’
- ‘By about my fiftieth attempt to make it perfectly horizontal, he raced inside without any explanation, and then came back a few minutes later brandishing his spirit level from woodwork.’
- ‘It is used to square the end of a board, mark a 45-degree angle for mitering, and even make quick level checks with the built-in spirit level.’
- ‘This was achieved by using an ingenious spirit level.’
- ‘Since 1979, vertical deformation around Lake Taupo has been monitored using the lake as a giant spirit level.’
- ‘This spurred the interest in me to design a prototype spirit level to measure slope angles.’
- ‘Make sure that the post spike is level by using the spirit level.’
- ‘These days ‘the builder's smile’ has been well and truly adopted by the younger generation, most of whom have never wielded a spirit level or a hammer in anger in their short lives.’
- ‘Bricklaying tools include a hammer, mason's string, a few 10d nails, a trowel, a spirit level, a hand level, a piece of carpenters chalk and a broad-bladed cold chisel.’
- ‘A single tool - technically called a spirit level, better known simply as a level - is the workhorse in the industry for checking plumb and level, and a good spirit level belongs in every toolbox.’
- ‘You could use him instead of a spirit level next time you're tiling, because he is a perfect plumb-line.’
- ‘At the first sight of an unfamiliar man wielding a spirit level, they're off to some spa in Mustique, timing their arrival home with the last handle being fitted in their sumptuous new kitchen.’
- ‘Baguley kept a careful eye on the spirit level throughout.’
- ‘I think Danny hit him with the spirit level as we were rolling about on the floor.’
- ‘Last week I mentioned the fact that panoramas can be carried out by any competent photographer with an absolute minimum of equipment - a ‘standard’ camera, a tripod and a spirit level.’
- ‘The floating face of the compass acts as a spirit level, enabling me to ‘shoot straight ‘with the sonar gun.’’
- ‘It was something you hammered, chainsawed, sized up with a spirit level, until it was absolutely durable and true.’
- ‘A spirit level was used to keep the models level, and the end of the pipe was fitted with a weir over which the fluid could flow readily, but which ensured that the pipe was always completely filled with fluid.’
- ‘Use a spirit level for this: an uneven patio collects water and cracks.’
- ‘You will need a spirit level and tape measure, tile adhesive and a notched spreader to apply it with, and probably a tile file.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.