Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for spur-dog
- ‘In the UK, don't buy ‘rock salmon’ - it could be spiny dogfish.’
- ‘Many elasmobranchs may use a combination of these behaviors, such as the spiny dogfish, S. acanthus, which uses all three mechanisms variably to capture prey depending on prey size.’
- ‘To date, the researchers have succeeded in outfitting spiny dogfish, a small shark species, with neural implants and stimulating the brain region sensitive to smell.’
- ‘No, I mean, that's a small spiny dogfish shark.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.