One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A whorl or small pulley used to weight a spindle.
- ‘We watched the rhythmic spinning of the spindle whorl as it dropped slowly towards the floor.’
- ‘A Viking Age spindle whorl from L' Anse aux Meadows (in Newfoundland) is evidence that women also reached the New World.’
- ‘Other finds included a spindle whorl, two querns, and a bronze rivet.’
- ‘Other finds, such as large storage vessels, unpainted and coarse pottery, weights, and spindle whorls, seem to point not so much to a ritual site as to a domestic structure.’
- ‘Other finds from the room included a spindle whorl, an iron strip, and a handstone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.