One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A whorl or small pulley used to weight a spindle.
- ‘Other finds included a spindle whorl, two querns, and a bronze rivet.’
- ‘We watched the rhythmic spinning of the spindle whorl as it dropped slowly towards the floor.’
- ‘Other finds, such as large storage vessels, unpainted and coarse pottery, weights, and spindle whorls, seem to point not so much to a ritual site as to a domestic structure.’
- ‘Other finds from the room included a spindle whorl, an iron strip, and a handstone.’
- ‘A Viking Age spindle whorl from L' Anse aux Meadows (in Newfoundland) is evidence that women also reached the New World.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.