Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cavity which runs successively through each of the vertebrae and encloses the spinal cord.
- ‘The diagnosis is confirmed by magnetic resonance imaging that shows narrowing of the spinal canal caused by osteophytes, herniated discs and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy.’
- ‘Abnormal right paraspinal soft tissue mass is also seen with suspicious involvement of the spinal canal.’
- ‘This is often due to pressure on the spinal cord from a small spinal canal.’
- ‘The cervical portion of the spinal canal is susceptible to damage by these agents.’
- ‘Then a doctor inserts a needle into the spinal canal and collects the fluid.’
- ‘Medical experts divide Chiari malformation into several types, in part to reflect the degree of displacement of the brain tissue into the spinal canal.’
- ‘Some are taken by mouth and some may be injected into the spinal canal since cancer cells can't be attacked there by the I.V. medicines.’
- ‘Magnetic resonance imaging is especially useful in determining if there is spread of tumor into the spinal canal.’
- ‘He subsequently developed plasmacytomas of his thoracic spinal canal, right orbit, and frontal sinuses.’
- ‘CT and MRI show the extent of the mass, with MRI demonstrating if there is any extension into the spinal canal.’
- ‘A few other causes of low back pain are arthritis in the bones of your spine and narrowing of your spinal canal.’
- ‘Older people, because of arthritis, can have very deformed spinal canals without obstruction.’
- ‘There is also the remote, though not unprecedented, possibility that the anesthesiologist could insert the needle into a blood vessel or the spinal canal instead of the epidural space.’
- ‘Next, a needle is inserted into the spinal canal.’
- ‘Cement intrusion into the spinal canal may require emergent decompression for removal and protection of the neural elements.’
- ‘Doctors surgically tuck exposed nerves and spinal cord back inside the spinal canal and cover them with muscle and skin.’
- ‘But tumors, injuries and other diseases can also lead to narrowing in the spinal canal.’
- ‘You will then be tilted on a special table allowing the fluid to pass up and down the spinal canal.’
- ‘They are fused to the vertebrae to take pressure off the spinal canal.’
- ‘As the lumbar spinal canal shrinks, the nerves that go through it are squeezed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.