One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cavity which runs successively through each of the vertebrae and encloses the spinal cord.
- ‘Cement intrusion into the spinal canal may require emergent decompression for removal and protection of the neural elements.’
- ‘Abnormal right paraspinal soft tissue mass is also seen with suspicious involvement of the spinal canal.’
- ‘CT and MRI show the extent of the mass, with MRI demonstrating if there is any extension into the spinal canal.’
- ‘But tumors, injuries and other diseases can also lead to narrowing in the spinal canal.’
- ‘As the lumbar spinal canal shrinks, the nerves that go through it are squeezed.’
- ‘You will then be tilted on a special table allowing the fluid to pass up and down the spinal canal.’
- ‘Next, a needle is inserted into the spinal canal.’
- ‘Magnetic resonance imaging is especially useful in determining if there is spread of tumor into the spinal canal.’
- ‘Then a doctor inserts a needle into the spinal canal and collects the fluid.’
- ‘They are fused to the vertebrae to take pressure off the spinal canal.’
- ‘He subsequently developed plasmacytomas of his thoracic spinal canal, right orbit, and frontal sinuses.’
- ‘The diagnosis is confirmed by magnetic resonance imaging that shows narrowing of the spinal canal caused by osteophytes, herniated discs and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy.’
- ‘This is often due to pressure on the spinal cord from a small spinal canal.’
- ‘Medical experts divide Chiari malformation into several types, in part to reflect the degree of displacement of the brain tissue into the spinal canal.’
- ‘The cervical portion of the spinal canal is susceptible to damage by these agents.’
- ‘There is also the remote, though not unprecedented, possibility that the anesthesiologist could insert the needle into a blood vessel or the spinal canal instead of the epidural space.’
- ‘Some are taken by mouth and some may be injected into the spinal canal since cancer cells can't be attacked there by the I.V. medicines.’
- ‘A few other causes of low back pain are arthritis in the bones of your spine and narrowing of your spinal canal.’
- ‘Older people, because of arthritis, can have very deformed spinal canals without obstruction.’
- ‘Doctors surgically tuck exposed nerves and spinal cord back inside the spinal canal and cover them with muscle and skin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.