One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A passage for surplus water from a dam.
- ‘To this day, it continues to grind away - a giant spillway steadily funneling water, mud, and whitewater rafters toward the Grand Canyon, which lies 315 miles south of the park.’
- ‘This is done with a stilling basin at the spillway's outlet.’
- ‘Construction is expected to start on the first part of the dam wall, which is the foundation for the second spillway, by the end of May.’
- ‘They hold it back, water rises and then empties slower over the spillway.’
- ‘As the Iraqi engineers from the Irrigation Ministry began to look at their dams, diversion structures and gated spillways, they expressed concern that some of them had been damaged.’
- ‘Berrios worries about losing specialists who can design large networks, databases and systems to control dams, spillways and other specialized irrigation or waterway systems.’
- ‘A few diaspores may pass dams through turbines or spillways.’
- ‘There are still some rescues going on near the spillway at Canyon Lake.’
- ‘Slowed by dams and spillways, with much of its flow siphoned off for users around the West, the lower Colorado is highly controlled.’
- ‘We have been at the dam in years gone by when the roar of water pouring over the spillway was deafening, and could even be heard at the car park.’
- ‘Clouds were building up so we had to hurry over the boardwalk that looks down into the gorge cut by the Kallada, fed by the spillway of the dam.’
- ‘The fill was steady and no water went over the spillway, so no fish were lost.’
- ‘After the spillway breached, it was about 190 feet wide and 40 feet deep.’
- ‘Constructing concrete spillways may reduce or prevent damage to dams caused by burrowing beavers.’
- ‘‘That lake is going to get so full it's going to get to the emergency spillways,’ said Larry Leinhauser, spokesman for Manatee County public safety emergency operations.’
- ‘The jet device can measure the erosion potential of a soil in vegetated channels, road embankments, dams, spillways, and construction sites.’
- ‘Laing Dam, on the Buffalo River near King William's Town, which feeds into Bridle Drift, peaked in the morning when the water was 2,09 metres above the spillway.’
- ‘The current software program predicts how an earthen spillway will perform and evaluates its potential for failure.’
- ‘Although the dam held, it sustained damage to its concrete core and spillway.’
- ‘It had been extinguished in some parts of the Ord Project Area with respect to the dam area and spillways and irrigation areas.’
- 1.1 A natural drainage channel cut by water from melting glaciers or ice fields.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.