One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action of spilling a liquid, or the fact of a liquid being spilled.‘packages are sealed to prevent spillage’‘data collection from sites of oil spillage’
- ‘He is already wearing his uniform with full-sleeve painting apron on top to alleviate potential porridge spillages.’
- ‘Take your time, and avoid spillages of blood or body fluids.’
- ‘Toxic waste spillage has caused the inhabitants of a nearby spider farm to grow to enormous sizes.’
- ‘Another incident of spillage from the pipeline occurred close to the north-west corner of the field.’
- ‘This dose would elicit maximal insulin response with minimal glucose spillage to urine.’
- 1.1count noun A quantity of liquid that has spilled or been spilled.‘be proactive in cleaning up any spillages’
- ‘As well as the igniting of oil wells, there was enormous spillage of oil into the Gulf.’
- ‘Ensure the concentrate and all spillages are contained within an area that drains back into the dip bath.’
- ‘Examination by sight alone revealed spillage.’
- ‘If the contents were under pressure, the spillage could be significant.’
- ‘Concerned residents were told that the spillage was cleaned up as quickly as possible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.