One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excellent; splendid.‘it's a frightfully spiffing idea’
very good, superb, outstanding, magnificent, of high quality, of the highest quality, of the highest standard, exceptional, marvellous, wonderful, sublime, perfect, eminent, pre-eminent, matchless, peerless, supreme, first-rate, first-class, superior, superlative, splendid, admirable, worthy, sterling, fineView synonyms
- ‘My boyfriend and I will be together 2 years next week, which is highly spiffing.’
- ‘I must say though that WH's book on Pit The Younger is very spiffing.’
- ‘This is a spiffing example of someone who was physically prepared to deal with a bad situation.’
- ‘A spiffing new parlour game for the chattering classes has come to our attention.’
- ‘Two viewpoints sounds spiffing to me (if a little confusing at first)!’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.