One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small long-legged scavenging beetle, the female of which has a rounded body that gives it a spider-like appearance.
Family Ptinidae: Ptinus and other genera
- ‘A number of insects that live within birds' nests can find their way indoors - such as carpet beetles, house moths, spider beetles and the martin bug.’
- ‘While spider beetles are common and widespread, they are not as abundant nor well known as other household pests.’
- ‘They get their common name, spider beetles, from the resemblance of adults to small spiders.’
- ‘Pupation of spider beetles often occurs in small cavities that they chew out of wood or other soft materials.’
- ‘The two focal groups currently are spider beetles and dung beetles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.