One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small long-legged scavenging beetle, the female of which has a rounded body that gives it a spider-like appearance.
Family Ptinidae: Ptinus and other genera
- ‘A number of insects that live within birds' nests can find their way indoors - such as carpet beetles, house moths, spider beetles and the martin bug.’
- ‘They get their common name, spider beetles, from the resemblance of adults to small spiders.’
- ‘The two focal groups currently are spider beetles and dung beetles.’
- ‘Pupation of spider beetles often occurs in small cavities that they chew out of wood or other soft materials.’
- ‘While spider beetles are common and widespread, they are not as abundant nor well known as other household pests.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.