Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument which produces a line recording the strength and rate of a person's pulse.
- ‘The sphygmograph was a first step in standardizing the recording and evaluation of pulses using technology.’
- ‘The pulse tracings by the sphygmograph are equally significant.’
- ‘Using polygraphs, sphygmographs, dromographs and other myographs, he succeeded in analysing diagramatically the walk of man and of horse, the flight of birds and insects.’
- ‘Included in the collection are a small number of sphygmographs, the first device to take a reading and transcribe it onto a chart.’
- ‘Dudgeon's sphygmograph was used for the pulse tracings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.