Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A basic compound which is a constituent of a number of substances important in the metabolism of nerve cells, especially sphingomyelins.
- ‘Analysis of tissues for sphinganine and sphingosine is not readily available.’
- ‘Amino acylation, with a long chain fatty acid, at carbon 2 of sphingosine yields a ceramide.’
- ‘It is, in principle, possible that sphingosine could be involved in the regulation of gene expression and signal transduction.’
- ‘Sphingolipids are composed of a backbone of sphingosine which is derived itself from glycerol.’
- ‘In contrast, the increase of SM content in MEB4 cells to 6% by the addition of sphingosine did not affect the viability of the cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.