Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of compounds which are fatty acid derivatives of sphingosine and occur chiefly in the cell membranes of the brain and nervous tissue.
- ‘We have modeled sphingomyelin, the most common sphingolipid in mammalian cells, by means of molecular dynamics simulations.’
- ‘In biological membranes, sphingolipids are essentially localized on the outer leaflet of the plasma membrane.’
- ‘The most important sphingolipids are sphingomyelins.’
- ‘Sphingomyelins are the only sphingolipid that are phospholipids.’
- ‘Previous studies of this phenomenon have focused mainly on systems combining cholesterol with PC and sphingolipids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.